If you get our email updates, you may have already read this post (BUT, you should definitely scroll through the pictures we added!) If not, keep reading to see what we’ve been up to. Comment with your email if you’d like to be added to our list. We’d love to hear a reply back from you, too!
Hi lovely supporters, friends and family! We are more than three-quarters through this school year, and I am really proud of the accomplishments that have happened this year all for the glory of God! Gosh, if we don’t say it enough, THANK YOU to all of you who continue to support the work we love and do here in the Dominican Republic. We couldn’t do anything without you, and you are truly impacting lives and leaving an eternal impact. Here’s an update of what’s been going on both with ministry and our family life.
- Enrollment for 2016-2017 Our school is in such a state of growth that we have a long waiting list of applicants for classes that are completely full for next school year! This is a good problem to have, so pray with us as we expand and grow. We both got to accompany our scholarship coordinators on home visits as we interviewed and assessed families that have applied for the scholarship program next year, as well as follow-up visits for our current families. I loved getting to see where our kids come from and saying to them “you are loved and cared for.” We accepted 15 new students into the scholarship program for the upcoming school year!
- New Building The construction on the new classroom building is in motion! Trevor is working long hours with the contractor (who is one of our scholarship student’s father) and making progress. Trevor’s dad, brother and a few others are scheduled to come down and do a section of the project. It looks like we’ll be set for the grand opening in August.
**If you didn’t catch our blog update in March about Trevor’s new role as Managing Director for Doulos Ministries, read here.
- ACSI Reaccreditation The mission of Doulos is specific in producing servant leaders that will create a revolutionary impact in the Dominican Republic. We want our students to have access to the highest quality education. Because of this, we value accreditation status that ensures this quality and grants them access to higher education both in country and in the U.S. We are proud to announce that our accreditation status was renewed for another five years!
- We need teachers! We still need teachers for 2016-17 school year. Is this you or someone you know? This is the best decision we ever said “yes” to! Please help us share the word on Facebook or IG or send out some emails to people you think might be interested! Go to doulosministries.us for more info.
- Happenings on Campus
- We ended our first year of After School Program in which we served over 60 families with quality programming and safe after school care.
- Our amazing art teachers hosted a beautiful art gallery with student work for the community.
- Families gathered on blankets under twinkle lights with flashlights and hot chocolate for our 6th bi-annual Reading Under the Stars event. Every family got to leave with a book for their homes.
- We held our first ever Spelling Bee! (P.S. We may have a 2nd place winner in our family, but who’s bragging? Go Emily!)
- Emily’s Baptism PTL!!! Emily has decided that she wants to commit her life to the Lord and express this through baptism! We are scheduling this soon and can’t wait to share pictures with you all! Please pray for her as she is beginning a new journey!
- Adoption Home Study We have our home study date scheduled for May 25-26th! This was one of our big prayer needs and it has been answered. Trevor and I have been working fervently on paperwork and education requirements to make this happen. God has blessed us financially to make our first payment installment and we are so grateful to those who were lead to give! Our caseworker from the agency will be flying to the DR for lots of interviews with our whole family and a home inspection. We will need our second payment installment to complete the home study and then we will be ready and approved for a child match! After the completed Home Study, we will be eligible to apply for scholarships and grants. Please pray for this process to go smoothly and quickly!
- Summer Plans Our summer trip is quickly approaching and we can’t wait to see you! We will be in Florida the middle of June and in Illinois the beginning of July.
Thanks for walking alongside us as we continue to serve here. We love you and care for you deeply!
Trevor, Kathy, Luke and Emily